Wednesday, July 18, 2018

LESSON 1 SELF-ESTEEM AND SELF-IMAGE


Personal Development


Personality
A set of emotional qualities, ways of behaving that makes a person different from other people.
Knowing Oneself
Step 1:
Know and accept yourself
Step 2:
Step 3:
Turn failure into success
Step 4:
Be sensitive to feedback
Step 5:
Learn from others
As you examine dimensions, you begin to examine an understanding of who you are and develop a picture of your “self”, an awareness of your essential qualities that give you a unique identity- your self-image.

Self -Esteem and Self - Image
Self- esteem
           Belief in your abilities and your worth or value is self- esteem.
           It is the extent to which you like, accept, and respect yourself.
Self -image
It is your mental picture of who you are  that is made up of variables such as physical appearance, sense of humor, etc. 

High Self-esteem
VS
Low Self -esteem
High Self-esteem
It helps you to meet everyday challenges and stay on course to become all that you can be. You must be positive about yourself if your are to be successful and have a rich full life.
Low Self-esteem
When you dislike yourself, you have LOW SELF-ESTEEM. Those who have low self-esteem may react by:
1. Blaming others for their own weakness or faults;
2. Becoming easily frustrated or defensive;
3. Avoiding situations that make them uncomfortable;
4. Feeling weak and incompetent
Low Self-esteem
Low self- esteem leads to loneliness, anxiety, resentment, irritability, and little life satisfaction.
“Believe in yourself. Have faith in your abilities. Without a humble yet reasonable confidence in your own powers, you cannot be successful or happy”.
~Norman Vincent Peale,                                      The Power of Positive Thinking

Self -esteem Boosters

Think about the words as you say them out loud. Repeat each sentence.
1. I have the power to change myself.
2. I am free to choose to live as I wish and to give priority to my needs , wants, and desires.
3. I deserve happiness and success.
4. I can make my own choices and decisions.
5. I can choose to make changes in every aspect of my life.
Think about the words as you say them out loud. Repeat each sentence.
6. I am worthy of being loved.
7. I am satisfied if I have done my best.
8. I have a plan for my future, and my plan is open to change.
9. I can forgive myself for mistakes.
10. I will not give up on myself.

Do’s of Building Self- esteem

1. Engage in POSITIVE SELF-TALK
Give yourself a recognition, praise, and positive self-talk each day. Tell yourself “well done” when you do well.
If you tell yourself “ YES I CAN,” chances are you will.
2. Remember what you like about yourself.
Know your strengths. Make a list of your good qualities and place it where you will see it each day.
Example. You are patient, you are caring.
3. Talk with others about your good qualities.
A trusted friend, relative, or counselor often sees qualities in you that you take for granted or overlook.
4. Focus on your achievements
Your achievements and successes, regardless of how large or small, are important to your self-image. List them!
Example:
I am a good friend, I graduated from high school, I do volunteer work.
5. Plan for your FUTURE
Look forward rather than dwelling on the past.
Make a list of things you want to do or change. Visualize your dreams.

DONTS of Improving Self-esteem

1. Don’t try to imitate someone else.
Imitating will lead to a further lack of self- worth and self - confidence.  You are a unique individual and you cannot be someone else. Strive to improve yourself rather than comparing yourself with others.
2. Don’t think negatively about yourself
You are important. Safeguard your health and be conscientious about your grooming and appearance.
Take time to focus on your wants, needs and desires. This is not selfish as long as you do not interfere with how others live.
3. Don’t let setbacks get the best of you.
Lack of success simply means you are not successful yet. Don’t think setback as a failure. Instead, think of the inevitable setbacks you will face as learning experiences or signals to change direction.

1 comment:

  1. This is the type of information I’ve long been trying to find. Thank you for writing this information. self development self help

    ReplyDelete